Sunday, April 21, 2013

Murder on the First Day of Christmas by Billie Thomas

My taste for fictional mystery can be best described as bipolar. On the one side, I love hard-boiled detective novels -- Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, Robert B. Parker, and Sue Grafton. On the other side I’m a sucker for English tea mysteries. Agatha Christie. Elizabeth George. P.D. James. I tend to stay within these two comfort zones. However, when a friend, whose writing style I admire, writes a mystery novel, I would be remiss not to take a look – even though it doesn’t fit within either of my fictional mystery comfort zones.

Such is the case with Murder of the First Day of Christmas by Billie Thomas. Ms. Thomas died suddenly in 2011 as she was beginning this series of mystery  novels. Her daughter was looking for someone to finish out the first novel and help honor her mother. She found that person in Stephanie Naman.
Stephanie is a writer with a Birmingham-based ad agency, Luckie & Co., and I would be less than forthcoming if I didn’t tell you that she has done some great work on behalf of Regions. I consider her a friend. And I consider her a terrific writer.
I know the word “murder” is in the title. And it’s called a “Chloe Carstairs Mystery.” But to me the book is really a story about the relationship of a daughter and her mom. It just so happens that there is murder most foul as the background along with a host of great characters. But it’s the relationship between Chloe and her mother, Amanda, that drives the story forward. Chloe is her own person and, many times, is not exactly the person her mother wants her to be. Chloe thinks she has her mother completely figured out only to find that her mother has a few surprises in store for her as well.
The Carstairs decorate homes for Christmas. And, generally speaking, these are over-the-top professional decorating projects that can only be done by people who know what they are doing. In other words, it's more than someone like me sticking a few lighted deer in the front yard. They decorate these homes in particular for well-to-do families who are hosting lavish holiday parties for family and friends.
It’s at these parties that death shows up. Accidental? I think not. Oh, and there’s this whole thing with a disembodied hand. And because of their natural curiosity, the Carstairs are on the case.
The writing is tight and the story moves along at a quick clip. Despite the simplicity of the writing and the directness of the plot, I found that I was easily suckered by more than one red herring thrown in my path by Ms. Thomas. Plus, you get the added bonus of terrific humor. I found myself laughing out loud more than once.

The book is available as a real book in paperback and via Kindle.
I recommend the book and predict you will finish it in one sitting.

No comments:

Blog Archive