Sunday, June 2, 2013

Rian Johnson: A Director, a writer and his movies you should watch

In this space not too long ago, I made it a point to ask – practically beg – you not to watch two movies by one self-indulgent director named Lars von Trier. Neither his Melancholia nor his Antichrist are worth your valuable time.

Now, allow me to highly recommend a terrific young director who has directed and written three feature films: Brick (2005), The Brothers Bloom (2008), and Looper (2012).

Rian Johnson is a young man who hails from California and first came to my attention a while back when his debut feature film, “Brick,” was praised constantly by my favorite film criticism podcast, Filmspotting. Matt and Adam loved the movie so much that they actually created an annual honor called “The Golden Brick” that they award to some film of that year that was terrific but for whatever reason was not seen widely enough or not praised nearly enough.

So, I rented “Brick” and was mesmerized. It is a classic film noir set in a modern California high school with students playing all of the requisite roles. There’s a murdered girl. There’s a haunted hero. There’s the classic “Big Guy.” There’s the requisite “tough.” The dialog. The look. The feel. The entire movie pays homage to classic film noirs like The Maltese Falcon (1941) and Double Indemnity (1944). Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays the hero but the true scene stealer is Lukas Haas as The Pin. And, for goodness sakes, Richard Roundtree is in the movie. You don’t get much more badass than that. This film is available on Netflix Instant and I suggest you watch it immediately.

Johnson’s next feature film was The Brothers Bloom, which stars Adrien Brody, Mark Ruffalo and Rachel Weisz. I’m not going to say a whole lot about this film because, honestly, it was not my favorite. It felt scattered. I didn’t think the directing was as sharp.

So. . .when Johnson’s next feature film was released in 2012, I was a bit apprehensive. Was Brick a grand fluke? I let my nervousness get the better of me and I didn’t go see it. Instead I waited. And waited. Now Looper (2012) is available on movie channels and for rent. You must see it. Now.

Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt, Looper is a great thriller with a science fiction bent that includes time travel. Now, I know what you’re going to say. You’re going to say, “Oh, man, time travel. That stuff always hurts my head.” And, generally speaking, I tend to agree. Some movies have used the time travel element well (The Terminator (1984)) and others not so well (just about all of the other Terminators). But here’s the deal. . .the brilliance of this film is how easily Johnson explains the use of time travel in this instance. You get it. You understand it. It becomes a key, but understandable, part of the plot.

And – BONUS!! -- the acting is great. Gordon-Levitt, Willis and Blunt all bring their “A” games. The secondary characters are all well done and play key roles. I will say that it will take a few minutes for you to get used to Gordon-Levitt’s prosthetic make-up. He is Willis’ younger self, and his mannerisms and look need to somewhat mirror Willis’ look and mannerisms. But you get past it. Trust me.
I’m not going to say a whole lot about the film because I want you to experience it “cold.”
One thing you need to know: It’s violent. Bloody violent. So be prepared.

So there you have it. Go watch Looper and Brick. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Blog Archive