Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Good Stuff: Of haircuts, shoeshines and blood draws


You've heard the ever popular saying: “Don’t sweat the small stuff.” 

That’s good advice for as far as it goes. No question that we – I – get hung up over small things and miss the big picture. But I suppose the fear is that there is a possibility that by aggressively not sweating the small stuff, you inadvertently don’t appreciate the small stuff that happens to be good.

This happens to me fairly often as I get caught up in the every day trials of life, work and family. I worry. I worry about finances. I worry about my children. I worry about my parents. I worry about work. I worry about my health. Worry. Worry. Worry.

I get so focused on these worries that I fail to appreciate the little things that make life grand and that can, in their own small way, make my day better.

The Tutwiler Barber Shop: Where Mimi works her magic
Last week was a great week for Small Stuff Appreciation in the life of Bret Pippen.

It started innocently enough with a haircut. I love getting my haircut. I usually wait until it’s more than a little shaggy and so it’s incredibly liberating to walk into my barber shop and have one of my favorite people give me a great cut and a new, fresh look. She clips my eyebrows. She shaves my neck. It’s an altogether wonderful experience and for those 20 minutes or so, I am removed from world worries with the anticipation of walking out of the barber shop feeling like a new man. Thank you very much, Mimi!

Then, I randomly decided to have my shoes shined. I don’t do this often but there are those moments when I look down at my Johnston & Malone cordovan leather shoes and think they could use some refreshing. A touch up. Nothing major – just a buff. My dad has given me many pieces of advice over the years but two bits of advice that have stayed true lo these many years are these: Spend the money to buy a good suit and a good pair of shoes and then take care of them both. 

So, I wandered to a shoeshine stand located in my downtown office building and watched as my friend buffed and polished my shoes to new life. It’s a singularly wonderful feeling to step down from a shoeshine stand and see a shiny pair of shoes looking back at you. A newly-shined pair of shoes makes a man feel confident. Thank you, Jamaal!

Later in the week, I found a small bit of happiness in the unlikeliest of places – a laboratory. It was time for me to head over to the Kirklin Clinic for my regularly-scheduled blood draw so I could be prepared for my doctor’s visit the next day. As I get off the elevator and walk to the lab area, I am literally greeted by every person working in the Clinic with a heartfelt and pleasant “Good Morning.” To top it off, the person who actually took my blood was a wonderful and beautiful young lady who could not have been more efficient and nice. This may seem like an odd recommendation but if you ever need to have your blood drawn, I would highly recommend great folks at The Kirklin Clinic. Thank you, Wanokee!

The moral of the story? Sure, don’t sweat the small stuff but for goodness sakes, don’t ignore the good stuff -- especially small good stuff.

No comments:

Blog Archive